CYC would like to thank Jack for submitting his research on Farr's Cove.
Farr's Cove photo from 2007.
The Farrs of Farr’s Cove
Cobbosseecontee Lake West Gardiner Maine
In 1859, the Northern part of Litchfield was annexed to West Gardiner which was incorporated in 1850. This included the area that is now Farr’s Cove on Cobbosseecontee Lake. The Farrs were a prominent family and those who were born before 1859 were born in Litchfield, now West Gardiner.
Noah Farr moved from Cape Cod to Harpswell before 1800 and later to what is now West Gardiner. His son William Farr (Nov 7, 1798-Feb 10, 1880) was an early settler in West Gardiner. He was a farmer and a member of the Society of Friends. His second wife Eunice Wadsworth (1809-1894) was related to General James S. Wadsworth who was killed during the Civil War in the Battle of the Wilderness in Virginia in 1864. Children born to William and Eunice were Lydia A., William H., Elijah, Moses W., Christina, Daniel and Sibyl W.
Moses was born in Litchfield (now West Gardiner) on May 5, 1831. He died in Hallowell on July 30, 1904. His wife was Lucinda W. Crain. Their son Frederick Wm. Farr (born 1860 in Hallowell) attended Colby College and was a land owner in the Farr’s Cove area.
William H. was also born in Litchfield on May 8, 1835 and died in Orono on Mar 1, 1922. His wife's name was Rebecca. William served as the West Gardiner town clerk in 1864. He is buried at the Friends Cemetery at the corner of the Neck Road and the Collins Mills Road in West Gardiner.
Elijah was born in Litchfield (West Gardiner) on Feb 11, 1840 and died Jun 26, 1922. He was a farmer and served as town selectman for seven years in the 1880's. In 1892 he was master of the Grange. Elijah married Carrie Wilson (1843-1888) of Lewiston in 1869. His second wife was Florence A. Spear (May 14, 1859-Mar 4, 1955). Elijah, Carrie and Florence are buried at the Friends Cemetery in West Gardiner. Florence owned property in the Cove area until 1954. She was the last of the Farrs to own land there.
William H., Moses W., and Elijah Farr owned a large tract of land in the area that surrounds Farr’s Cove and lots west of the cove. In the late 1800's one acre shore lots + - were sold off for $50 each. In addition, a large lot consisting of 11 acres abutting the shore lots on the South was set aside for the Lake Cobbosseecontee Club (a rowing club). Known as the "Club Field", it was common land shared by six property owners who owned shore lots on the lake and all had undivided interest written in their deeds. The field was primarily used to pasture horses of club members. In 1893, Brainard Robinson was the club secretary.
In 1893, William resided in Augusta and Moses lived in Hallowell.
One of the lots was sold to George Simmons of Hallowell in 1895. He built a cottage and a boathouse around 1909 (newspapers dating 1909 were found in the walls during renovation). The property remained in the same family until it was sold to present owners Gail Andrews and Jack Boynton in 1994.
Note: Information compiled by CYC member Jack Boynton 2017 (firstname.lastname@example.org) from Kingsbury History of Kennebec County 1892, Kennebec County Registry of Deeds, the Friends Cemetery, and FamilySearch.org.
This site has been created by the CYC and is brought to you courtesy of Clark Marine of Manchester, Maine. "Fun on the water starts at Clark Marine!"